Last Full Day in Kenya

Day 28
What was meant to be an easy day turned into a rather stressful one. Kristyn was leaving this morning to do cultivation work in Masailand and Barnabas and Jackson were taking her around 7:30 a.m. Barnabas said he would be back to pick me up around 11 but I don’t think Jackson got the memo when he came in my room at 7 to ask if I was coming because they wouldn’t be stopping back at the house. I jumped up to take a quick shower and then we were on our way.
The trip took about an hour as we drove through the beautiful Ngong Hills and somehow the conversation turned to politics. Barnabas was talking about the corruption in the government down here. Half of th it cabinet was recently fired for spending taxpayers money on themselves, according to Barnabas. He also started sharing his opinions on American government. The majority of people down here love Obama, but they hate Trump for, in my opinion, understandable reasons. But I prefer to never discuss politics or religion, so moving on.
We dropped Kristyn off at a families modest home. It was apparent she would be getting the real African experience. With the exception of the outhouse, I was a little jealous that she would get to live there for a week. The bedroom had two beds covered in a mosquito net and a chair in the corner. The only other room was a living area consisting of a table, some chairs and two small couches. A wooden hutch stood against the wall next to the entrance to complete the ensemble. The only technology visible was a small black radio on the edge of the couch.
The couple had three adorable daughters and seemed impressed when I addressed the middle child, all of 3-years-old and said “sasa” meaning hi or how are you. Daniel, the father, asked in a surprised tone if I speak Swahili. Unfortunately I had to admit I only speak very little.
We sat and chatted for a few minutes while Kristyn and I lavished attention on the baby who was only 10-months-old. I have to admit, the hardest part about this trip is having to continuously say goodbye to people I have come to care about in such a short time. I gave Kristyn Iine last hug goodbye, we promised to keep in touch and visit next year and then I was on my way.
We were supposed to go to the city market but I was informed we had to make some stops first.
The first stop was to the doctors office, I don’t know why and didn’t ask, but Barnabas took some medicine.
The second stop was to Milla’s relatives house. He was surprisingly wealthy, living in a massive villa surrounded by a cement wall and a gate. On our way out he asked if I liked Kenya, I told him I have enjoyed being here very much. He then asked where I lived in America. Turns out he worked at Hopkins for three years which is about 45 minutes from my house. When I informed him of that he made the comment “the world is getting so small.” I couldn’t help but agree wholeheartedly, I was just saying the same thing to someone the other day.
Barnabas had one more stop to make at the police station, it had something to do with his car, and I sat in the car we drove over and waited, and waited, and waited. I always carry a book with me just in case I ever have down time and need to occupy myself and I was so glad I did. Three hours later I had finished my book and it was nearly four. We were still at the police station and I began to get upset as I hadn’t rated and they just had me sitting in a car all day. So I got up and went searching for them.
When I found them I walked up and wanted to know how much longer we would be waiting because I was hungry, tired and cranky and had been sitting in a hot car for three hours.
At long last Jackson took me to get food while Barnabas continued to wait. Turned out karma is a real thing because after eating a chicken croissant, around 6 when we finally got home I became fairly sick. I can’t determine if the chicken was bad or if my stomach just isn’t used to that kind of food; I think it’s the latter. It will be interesting to see how I react to food once I’m back in the States. I can’t say I’m looking forward to it.



  1. Sounds like a long hot day. Sad that this is coming to an end. You have made us feel like we were right by your side the entire time. Sad to see it end. Thank you for all you have done. It takes a special kind of person to do what you have done. You must be very proud of yourself.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s